Tomato are of many varieties and maybe divided into several categories based mostly on shape and size.However, have you ever considered how far tomatoes can go to improve your health. According to a research conducted in the UK by Tim Key, a doctor of cancer, tomatoes contain lycopene which has been proven to risk of lung, skin and prostate cancer in men. When digested from the stomach, it is transported in the blood by various lipoprotiens and accumulates in the liver, adrenal grand and testes. Lycopene is a bright red caroteniod pigment and phytochemical found tomatoes and other red fruits and vegetables such as carrot and is one of the most powerful antioxidants. A study done at Manchester and Newcastle universities revealed that tomatoes can protect against sunburn and helps to give the skin a younger look. other heart protective activities in tomatoes may include reduction of “Bad” LDL cchorestero ,homocyteine, platelet aggregation and blood pressure. Tomatoes also contain vitamin C,A and K also Magnesium and Fiber.
- · Slicing or globe tomatoes are the usual tomatoes of commerce used for a wide variety of processing and fresh eating.
- · Beefsteak tomatoes are kidney bean shaped, thinner skinned, and shorter shelf life tomatoes that are often use for sandwiches and similar applications.
- · Oxheart tomatoes are shaped like large strawberries.
- · Plum tomatoes also known as processing or paste tomatoes. They are oval or cylindrical in shape
- · Cherry tomatoes are small and round often eaten whole in salad.
- · Grape tomatoes are smaller and oblong, a variation on plum tomatoes and used in salad.
- · Campari tomatoes are also sweet and noted for their juciness and low acidity are bigger than cherry tomatoes but are smaller than plum tomatoes .There are also varieties high in beta carotenes and vitamin.